Skip to main content

I’m considering buying a 4-post lift and have read back through some previous posts on this subject. Just wanted to see whose product everyone is using and level of satisfaction. I’ve checked with Back Yard Buddy (BYB), Eagle, and Panther. Would anyone suggest another?

Panther appears to be virtually the same product as Eagle, perhaps a start up from a former employee or probably buying from the same importer as I assume these are being manufactured over seas? Anyone know?

Eagle and Panther are priced at ~$1900 including ramps and some accessories, plus shipping. BYB does not publish their pricing (though they have online ordering? What’s up with that?), and quoted me $4200 with no accessories! I figured this may have been the chump price, sort of the ask not get not price, but when I inquired as to the price variance to competing products, let’s say their attitude about the price was ummmm………unapologetic.

I could literally buy two Eagle lifts and have them delivered for the price of one BYB. I’d certainly like to buy US, and am not eager to place my ride on a junk lift, but wow! That’s an incredible premium. I prefer the construction of the backyard buddy, but presume since Eagle (not sure about Panther) has been manufacturing and offering this product for quite a while, it is of reasonable quality and reliability. Anyone care to comment on that?

Not sure I can justify double the price for the comparative claims of BYB. The BYB website comparisons on construction/safety seem somewhat compelling, but these days, I'd rather have testimonials from customers who don't have any reason for bias.

Can anyone shed share there experience/opinions regarding these lifts, and what you may have paid and when you bought? –Thanks for your help.
Last edited {1}
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Pro-Park, Eagle, Bend Pak PF-7000, Stinger ST, Panther, Double-Park DP-7 are all the same "partially enclosed column" design. I believe they all require bolting to the floor, and question column flexability and the small surface area of the locks. Do any of those companies actually manufacture their lifts? Outside slider lifts like BYB have more inherent stability due to their design, do not require bolting to the floor, and have visable, captured locks. I've spent time around 3 or 4 brands and chose the BYB. With options, about $5k delivered, and have not regretted spending the money for one second. Not sure why BYB should appologize for their pricing compared to a $1700 lift, and yes you could buy 2 Hyundai's for what you pay for a nice Pantera. Good luck..
quote:
Originally posted by 74 GTS:
With the BYB, when you want to lift it with the wheels off, what kind of additional piece is use to accomplish that? Big Grin

I put my floor jack on one of two jacking/utility plates (that slide fore and aft beteen the runners) and lift. Or I put my floor jack on a runner and lift at the body jacking points as though the car is on the ground. There is a hydraulic lift accessory that can do this.

I started looking at 2-pole for this very concern (tire/wheel access), but found that the positives outweighed:
non-permanent
no lag bolts in cement
moveable with casters
drip pans (for parking a car underneath)
Many of the lifts mentioned here are not available in Ireland but i got good opinions on BendPak, so i bought a HD10St, 10000lb lift capacity, a bit over what i need but got a good deal and its best fit for my garage width, excellent piece of kit with air safety locks and connects to normal power supply.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • bb_tyre_pics_002
If you go to the Backyard Buddy site there's a link to a height calculator. I have a 10' ceiling with no lights or opener above the lift bay. I can put the Pantera all the way up and completely walk under the car without crouching (I'm 6'0"). I would say you'd need ~9' to stack them. Good luck..
I decided on Backyard Buddy and placed my order yesterday. Swallowed hard on the $ but the comparison videos at the BYB site just gave me the shakes (no Hyundai's in my garage Johnk Big Grin).

In regard to the headroom to stack, it will of course depend on the height of your cars, but there are several other things to consider. In my case, I have 130" at the door opening. You need to start subtracting from this figure.

My garage floor has grade so it drains toward the door. It's not much but you could lose up to 3" to the ceiling depending on how far upgrade you go.

At 9', if you have a conventional overhead door, you'll likely need to get rid of any trolley type door lift and high lift the door close to your ceiling. You'll need to consider the entire thickness of your door, any reinforcement rails on the backside, plus several more inches for clearance. Subtract this from your ceiling height.

The thickness of the deck varies on lifts but BYB is 4". Subtract again.

Whatever you have left is what you have to accomodate the height of both cars plus clearance between your top car and ceiling and bottom car and lift deck.

When I do all this at 130" I concluded that I could get my Pcar (mine is 42") raised such that the deck height was at least 75" with a few inches clearance. Add another 6" with the door down. Besides stacking, I figured this was adequate room to work standing under the car.

Good luck.
Congrats Panterror, what's the lead time on them these days?

I believe you'll never think about the cost once it's intalled. A suggestion, I had mine delivered to a local terminal. Unless you have a trailer that has a 15' bed, the best way to get it home is with a rollback. I'd be happy to offer suggestions that will make installation easier than what I went through. Let me know, and I'll forward my #.. Take care

John
>Congrats Panterror, what's the lead time on them these days?

6 weeks ARO,

>I believe you'll never think about the cost once it's intalled. A suggestion, I had mine delivered to a local terminal. Unless you have a trailer that has a 15' bed, the best way to get it home is with a rollback. I'd be happy to offer suggestions that will make installation easier than what I went through. Let me know, and I'll forward my #.. Take care

Thanks. I had read that in one of your earlier posts and took it to heart. I already have a rollback lined up. Thanks for the suggestion. Will post when I have it installed.

Kelly
quote:
With the arrival of the second pantera, I'm weighing the option of getting a 4 post lift to increase parking space in my garage.

Hey Dennis, congratulations, many of of can only aspire to become dual P car owners Smiler I guess with that wreck you're breaking out too, you're really a 2.5 P car owner, or maybe down to 2.2 with the rate stuff is selling on eBay

Post some pics of the new car.

Julian
Hey Dennis,

I went to your website; nice pics of the Hawaii 5-0 Pantera that's hiding under wraps in the main pic you posted. That's neet to have a P car with such a distinguished history and great that a great enthusiast like you has managed to get hold of it.....very fitting.

Good luck with her.
Julian
I plan to put it back to original as much as possible. Not much has changed on the car except for some mechanical improvements like cooling, starter, and carburetor. I'm taking off the bling air cleaner, valve covers, camber bar and such. I had a stash of original parts to replace them with. I was planning to have some racing roundel numbers made up to match the ones in the show.
Link copied to your clipboard.