Skip to main content

@albanygt40 posted:

I found the speedbox by Speedhut. Its an electric drive that connects to your speedo via a custom cable. This seemed to be the answer I was looking for.

I bought the kit and selected the VW thread on cable option, When the kit arrived I found the speedo nut would not fit my Pantera speedo, was easy fix to swap the nut but in hind sight I would send my old cable nut to speedhut to fit to new cable.

It's a very system to set up. I connected the drive to my speedo and carried out calibration procedure, press a button wait for the speedo needle to line up with the 60mph mark and let go of button, all went well.  before fitting the system in the Pantera I set up the system in my daily driver to test accuracy against my dailys speedo, all worked well.  Fitted the unit to my pantera and road tested very nicely. smooth needle, no bouncing and very accurate.  I have the gps option but the system will work via a wheel speed sensor or EFI speed signal from an ECU.

Im very happy with the results, my car gets to keep its original speedo with original miles and I can ditch the speedo cable.

Sounds like a great solution!  Do you have a part number/link to share so others don't have to reinvent the wheel?

And glad to hear you're driving the hell out of your car!  They were meant to be driven and are a joy to drive!

Thanks!

Last edited by garth66

Update on the Pantera- Set it up for an Historic event , the factory brakes with upgraded pads, fluid and so on just werent up to the event, gave the wall a slight rub in the second last race.  Loved racing the car.  I need to upgrade brakes. Im in Australia, I was looking to buy a kit from SAAC but  the freight is thousands of Australian dollars alone, So I need to go it alone peace together a kit. For the rear Im thinking of vented rotors in .810 so I can use the factory brake caliper as a hand brake and a wilwood 4 piston caliper with a custom mount.

Fronts I was looking at PanteraDoug's  Thunderbird set up with Wilwood calipers.Not sure withch thunderbird rotor to get (Doug if you're reading this please contact me)

Attachments

Images (2)
  • 352547412_152699061057485_6275769908498882150_n
  • 412424752_738454841501648_6233705424010399403_n

Dave,

Hi-Spec in the UK make a nice rear caliper with integrated handbrake, it's UK IVA/MoT compliant so has to hold on a rolling road.

For the Group4 to be vintage legal, I had the original spec rotors shipped from the UK and yes shipping was as much as the rotors! If you ever need anything from the US, we have a Summit Racing store across town, just drop me a PM.

Stripped rear uprights, Changing to a vented rotor, The rotors I have lined up need a bit of machining to fit. Torn between fitting front mount rotors or just fitting them behind as per factory? The rotors a re vented and have the same offset as the factory.  I am replacing the little factory brake calipers at the same time. News bearings and nuts going in. Im lucky as someone in the past rebuilt my uprights and did it right.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 414981042_6766690590125601_2826176523336206752_n

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.