Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

I just went down this road as I'm redoing my 72 any old charts that you're going to find or not going to do you any good if you're trying to blend new and old the best thing to do would be to make sure the car just had a good detailing and by that I mean paint correction if it hasn't had one in a long time this way you get off the layers of dirty old paint then take it to a paint supply house and has a camera and they can shoot it and then see if they can do a spray out on a card you're in for a big uphill battle because the bigger part of the problem is the new paints and the old paints don't like to play nice together so if you have an area that you're trying to redo you have to take it down with 400 grid paper so you give the primer a chance to bite you pray that the primer doesn't react with the old paint after you've laid the new paint down and you get a reaction and you end up with bubbles or fish eyes and then the other big problem is with these cars it's so hard to do a blend old to new because there's no places where you can really start and stop without it showing. Here are 2 pictures for you the pantera color looks different inside vs outside and my 73 volvo is 42000 miles orig unrestored car and its white and totally different

Attachments

Images (2)
  • IMG_20230718_222951
  • IMG_20230802_115621

Ran into the same issues as Adam, EPA VOC change (solvent vs water based) made OE paint formulas almost useless

My friend owns a Euro.Dealership  and a white restored Pantera. After much deliberation and pressure to pick a color. I lazily relied on his research ( besides, any side by side pictures should look pretty cool )   I decided to go with the same color on my 72. My original paint was so bad I didn't have anything to go by. Im not sure of accuracy but I love it. (Not sure but I think OE color was not as bright)

FYI The base primer color slightly effected the shade on my test panels but, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps

Mercedes Benz-9960 Alabasterweis

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PXL_20211219_205122257_exported_233_1693783487741

For those owners that haven't yet been down this road, there was an actual paint code tag on each car. Unfortunately, it was a small green-and-white decal in the front trunk- sometimes stuck on the headlight connection tube. They don't weather well. The default method is to look up under the dash to the front firewall.

Panteras were painted all over while the bodies were empty, so if total authenticity is important to you, that cabin paint behind the dash, protected from almost everything is as close as you can get. As was said, 50 years of weathering has faded your OEM paint, so old paint codes are not applicable anymore for touch-up.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.