Skip to main content

StickerCity just came out with a new vinyl that has a 3Dimensional surface so that it catches the light like carbon fiber does:
http://www.stickercity.com/pro...d=21813&cat=0&page=1
It should be a better match than what I have at the moment. I'll probably switch to that stuff soon. I was using their older stuff, which is simply printed. Looks acceptable at a distance, but that's it. Doesn't stand up to a closer look. I'll still grab a pic for you, but I'm pretty sure the new stuff is the way to go.

-Chris
April 2nd, 2011
After a long break, I’ve come back to the Pantera for another round. This time the focus is on finishing the interior and engine compartment. This is the new lump of iron and aluminum which is going in. After literally years of thinking about the motor, I ultimately went with my gut and I am really excited about the end result. This is a Windsor stroker motor with Webers that just put down 592hp on the engine dyno. I think it’s beautiful.

April 24th, 2011
Jaime and I have been working on the Pantera dash. It’s the last piece of the interior that needs to be redone. Once it was out of the car and stripped, most of the holes were fiberglassed over. We won’t be using the old factory vents and such, so we made new holes, sanded, prepped, etc. Today we covered the dash in dense foam padding. I just manned the spray adhesive while Jaime made patterns and trimmed. Tomorrow the upholstery work begins. We have some very cool ideas in the works, so hopefully all goes to plan! Pardon the low res photos, but I left my fancy camera at work and shot these with the iPod.

April 30th, 2011
More photos to show from the Pantera.

Pic with the dash removed and the new Vintage Air unit:

The electronics are moved to the right side of the engine compartment for easy access.

The gas tank was rusty inside. I always had to run fresh fuel filters to keep the gunk out of the motor. Since the motor was out, it was time to freshen up the gas tank. It was boiled out and re-sealed.

Extra holes welded up in the engine bay. Everything is removed and ready for paint:

And here is the engine bay back from paint. Looks nice, cleaned up, and the semi-gloss black will keep the focus on the motor and trans.

May 14th, 2011
Check it out! Jaime and I finished up the Pantera dash this morning. Would have finished last weekend but we ran out of adhesive. I visited five stores on Sunday, looking for more but nobody carries it. We gave up and had to order it on-line. At any rate, the dash is done now. It’s not perfect, but that’s how these things go. Still looks impressive overall, and much improved over the 39 year old vinyl that it replaced.

The material is Alcantara up top to reduce windshield glare, and Ultraleather on the rest. Blue contrast stitching follows along the top edge where the two materials meet.

Thanks to Jaime for working so hard on it. Next step is to get it into the car.

May 25th, 2011
The dash is back in the car and the electronics are hooked up. Seats, center console, various bits and pieces still need to be put in. The Vintage Air system really blows! Looks nice. I gotta see if I can change the air control knob lights to blue so they’ll match the rest of the interior.

The transmission is back from its rebuild and polish. Looks amazing, and it should, considering what it costs to rebuild a ZF. :P

May 18th, 2011
Everything is still being hooked up, but it’s sitting in place on motor mounts. Yay! I don’t think the engine and trans could “pop” much more against that semi-gloss black engine bay.

The deck lid has to be cut a little bit so that it can close and we will need to find a solution for the engine cover. I am also going to get taller velocity stacks so that they are slightly taller than the deck lid.

Link copied to your clipboard.