Please some help & clarification is for a friend's Windsor Engine
(my Pantera Cleveland has hydro roller, all setup a virgine state runing strong)
What is not clear to me is the question on ZERO Lash adjustment:
1) at WHAT state of the lifter virgine i.e NO OIL inside or soaked/or in use in the car does the adjustment rule apply. I understand there is a spring inside the lifter so I guess it does not make "ANY" ??? difference if virgine i.e. no oil or adjusting on an active engine
2) tried to push the pushrod down per wooden stick against the lifter of the engine in the car but no "play" could be achieved. Ok I understand the oil is sitting inside so just simple pushing pushrod down is not easy to be done. right?
3) the pusrods of the engine in question when vales are definately closed still can be rotated per my finders, which is an indication to me "freshman" on US engines, the PRELOAD is missing or too low. May be someone has done it to "safe" the cam from too much friction as using non adequate zinc added oil??
4) if engine was used with NO preload what happes to the lifters do they pump up? although I do not really understand what this means and how it materializes
4) Engine runs ok, a bit weak above 4000 rpm..should do 5800
5) Vaccum is bad (def not 14), although compression is good
Can please someone help so we can set the preload correctly