Mangusta Restoration work.....engine compartment

Here's some pictures for you!

I was asked to restore an engine compartment. Mangusta 8MA1182. I actually finished it back in June but I have been so busy with my new workshop I have not had time to sort out the pictures and add some words.

The car came to me with the paint and body already done. Working around the fresh paint was inconvenient but possible. This car gets driven often in the UK and on the continent. It has been with it's current owner for over 26 years.

Pic 1. Scruffy engine compartment.

Attachments

Photos (1)
Original Post
Pic 15. I tried to create a slightly mottled finish to the chassis paint. I didn't want it smooth nor did I want it plastered with underseal like original. I made new heat shields and replaced the sound deadening felt. All rubber hoses replaced and most of the coolant pipes replaced with stainless.

Attachments

Photos (1)
Pic 19. I would like to have taken it apart for painting but it would not be possible to reassemble without the bearing scraping the paint off the shaft as it went back together. I painted the shaft and also the ally casting. I shot the silver and then applied a clear coat with lots of matting agent in it. I found this makes it look like a new casting because there is no shine. I later had some other ally parts vapour blasted and it was hard to tell which was bare ally and which was painted.

Attachments

Photos (1)
Pic 33. Vapour blasting (also known as aqua blasting) for those not familiar is a wet blasting technique that uses tiny round glass balls suspended in high pressure water. It's like a sand blasting cabinet but with a windscreen wiper on the inside. Because the abrasive in round it has a peening effect rather than an abrasive affect so it makes the ally very bright like a new casting.

Attachments

Photos (1)
Pic 35. Mcleod hydraulic throwout bearing. This car has run this type of set up for the last 15 years and to everyone's amazement has never failed! While I had it all apart I decided it was probably time it was replaced. The kit that came out did not have a makers name on it but I think it may have been an early Mcleod.

Attachments

Photos (1)
Pic 37. I have no idea how others do this but I decided it would be nice to be able to drop the engine in with the chain block so that it sits on the chassis rails and then push the car over the pit to access the engine mounts. I made these padded chassis rail protector plates and adjustable ears that bolt to the heads. I managed to get it all together without chipping any paint so it must be a good idea!

Attachments

Photos (1)

Add Reply

Likes (0)
×
×
×
×