I found these bits of red rubber under the goose a few days ago...

I have a pretty good idea what it is, but I'm curious as to what others think it came from.

Curved red rubber, quite brittle, piece is about an inch long with an indention near one end.





Images (2)
Last edited by George P
Original Post

Hi MH,

Looks like a decomposing Shocker rebound rubber to me.

I replaced them on my Mangusta a year or so ago.

Terry 8MA 1298

Rear Shock rubber


Images (1)
Last edited by George P

From the red color (I can't quite see the decal on your shock), it appears to be a Koni- not stock on a 'Goose but maybe better. Their American store on the East Coast stocks parts and bumper rubbers are cheap. Note front and rear shocks use different length rubbers and sometimes, different durometers. To install them, Koni's upper shock eye unscrews so the bumper rubber can be slipped on the shaft. It keeps your shock from metal-to-metal contact over big bumps, which can completely destroy a shock. They also have a service center for rebuilds but that is NOT cheap.

Hi, yes mine are Koni's, and I had all four of them rebuilt when I needed the bump rubbers replacing.

Total cost was $516 in 2015, here in Melbourne Australia.

They are 82-1684 front, and 82-1685 rear and were on it when I bought it in 2002 from the original owner, and is the third last build (and is RHD)

FYI, those are Koni shocks, but not Koni (or DeTomaso) bump rubbers. I cannot confirm the exact source, but some Koni shocks for Ferraris used a Ferrari sourced bump rubber that is identical to that. 
In any case, bump rubbers are easy to find the appropriate and much improved ones, in either the US or Australia. PM if you would like sources.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.