Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

When you find one, buy two.

You don't want to burn up your ZF clutch packs by running significantly different diameter tires on the rear.

Or you can run 8" Rears, and 7" fronts, so you can move the rear to the front in case one blows.

Rocky

PS> This was a regular tire explosion, not a spare.... But scary to look at....

Attachments

Images (1)
  • IMG_4125_(Medium)
quote:
Originally posted by Rocky:
I guess 10 year old "Eldorado Legend GTs" sometimes don't cut the mustard.

From Grade School -

"Ride, boldly ride, the shade replied,
If you search for Eldorado!"

What do you want from ja-bonga tires?

The inflatable spare matches the od of the rear, not the front.

That tire probably took out a couple of rattlers when it went huh?
It wasn't mine, but it left some carnage in it's wake!

When that baby blew out on the high bank at Monza, all those dudes (Hamilton, Roseberg, Senna, Lauda, Moss and Fangio) were scrambling to deconflict! Riggazoni and Iyxx were luckily in the pits. You may have seen it on Wide World of Sports!

Luckily only delay and nothing more serious.

I didn't know the space saver spare puffed up to the full 26 1/2" diameter (or whatever it officially is). You learn something new around here every day.

Rocky

P.S. You know a dealer for Ja-Bongas? They are in short supply out here in the Southwest! Let me tell you about the 2006 Ford GT that showed up at the Tubac show. He was proud he got a pair of rear tires off eBay for $150 each! Why pay those high prices! True story.
Last edited by rocky
quote:
It wasn't mine, but it left some carnage in it's wake!

When that baby blew out on the high bank at Monza, all those dudes (Hamilton, Roseberg, Senna, Lauda, Moss and Fangio) were scrambling to deconfliction! Riggazoni and Iyxx were luckily in the pits. You may have seen it on Wide World of Sports!

Luckily only delay and nothing more serious.

I didn't know the space saver spare puffed up to the full 26 1/2" diameter (or whatever it officially is). You learn something new around here every day.

Rocky

P.S. You know a dealer for Ja-Bongas? They are in short supply out here in the Southwest! Let me tell you about the 2006 Ford GT that showed up at the Tubac show. He was proud he got a pair of rear tires off eBay for $150 each! Why pay those high prices! True story.

Everywhere I go I hear the ja-bongas. You just stand along the roadside and you hear the cars going down the street. Ja-bong, ja-bong, ja-bong. They're all over the place? Eeker
Good question. I don't know.

I would think yes simply because of clearance on a 14" wheel and the disc brake calipers?

You could, just for the heck of it, mount the space saver wheel on the Pantera and see if the wheel clears the brake calipers?

Since this is all such ancient history and few if any have ever used them, they tend to be just for "Concourse" cars and as a result just for display.

The Mustang people are identifying different units for different applications such as Boss 429 specific, etc.

The GM people had them also.

More research on this is necessary by me but if none are manufactured now then it is going nowhere anyway?

In the case of the Pantera, I am very sure that the steel wheel used was a Mustang wheel and added to the car here in the US.

Here is one from a Porsche that is 15".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsch...AOSw0JpV529t&vxp=mtr
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Borruso:
I believe the Stang pieces were 14"

I'll mount one up this weekend and let you know...

Thanks. In all the years I had the spare (sold it) I never mounted it up to check for anything?

The rear won't be any kind of problem I'm sure but I would want to see how close the front Girlings come to the inside of the rim.

Good info to know?
Sorry, my mistake I wasn't thinking straight. 68 Shelby's and the 15" Kelsey Hayes steel wheel spares I was talking about were full size tires not space savers. As far as I know though 69/70 Shelby's used 15" space savers not sure, how many other Fords used them. The space saver that came with my Pantera is a 14". I am not sure if its the original one or not, but I think so.
At one time you could get folding-sidewall spares in 14"x6" (std Pantera), 15" and 16" (never delivered on Panteras). They have apparently all been factory-discontinued, because I tried to contact Ford, BFG, Goodyear and others for info for a POCA article 2 yrs ago. NO ONE returned my messages and the tires are not to be found on any known websites. Vredelstein is rumored to still make them but they also do not return messages- including from their main office in Europe. Tire Rack does not list them, and a human rep was less than helpful- only suggesting Vredelstein after I explained what they were.

Best bet if yours is cracked from ozone/smog: go to a wrecking yard and buy the best looking one you can find. Regardless of what you might hear, they CAN be mounted/dismounted onto new rims but only by a competent tire shop. Stay far away from those that are used to throwing tires at an automatic machine that does everything by someone pushing a button.

Our car carries a 15" x 7" Goodyear collapsible spare from a mid-'80s Buick, mounted on a dragrace-only spun-aluminum rim. The light rim works because the spare is only good for 50 miles max, at up-to-50 mph speeds. It clears Wilwood calipers & stock 11.5" OD rotors. I also got the gray felt spare cover from the Buick's trunk and trimmed it to fit. Matches the Pantera front trunk upholstery perfectly & may keep smog damage away from the rubber.

Porsche used to include 15" and 16" folding-sidewall spares; maybe they still do. Also remember to periodically check the vital inflator bottle & valve-stem adapter, as they leak pressure. And some STILL fill the things with PROPANE which makes them a BOMB in my opinion. They are known to 'cook off' under high trunk temps & high altitude. It WILL dent trunk lids front or rear if it happens to you.
Yes, it's difficult to get any availability information at all from anyone. Part of that I think, many just don't know what the tire is?

The Porsche Vredstein's on ebay are dated 3-76.

In my view there is not point to using a tire that old though?

Those are 26.1" inflated and that works for the rears.

The combination battery charger/air compressor that you carry in the trunk does away with the need for the propane tank.
[QUOTE]Speedunlimited My 1973 Mustang Mach 1 came with a factory Goodyear collapsible spare tire, the rim measures 15-3/8 ( outside edge to outside edge)[/QUOTE

That's a 14" rim or its not factory. A 15" rim was not available on 73 Mustangs regardless if they were Mach 1's. The only optional (fancy/performance)wheel was the 14" aluminum, slotted kidney bean for 73.
quote:
Originally posted by Otis:
[QUOTE]Speedunlimited My 1973 Mustang Mach 1 came with a factory Goodyear collapsible spare tire, the rim measures 15-3/8 ( outside edge to outside edge)[/QUOTE

That's a 14" rim or its not factory. A 15" rim was not available on 73 Mustangs regardless if they were Mach 1's. The only optional (fancy/performance)wheel was the 14" aluminum, slotted kidney bean for 73.
Hello Otis; I checked my Marti report, & you are 100% CORRECT!, the Marti report states my 1973 Mustang Mach 1 came from the FACTORY with a "/1/ F78X14 Space Saver Spare".

Now I have a "Highly Coveted" & "EXtremely RARE" 15 inch date code correct DeTomaso Pantera Space Saver Spare...Do I hear an opening bid of $5,000.00???!!!
quote:
Space Saver Spare...Do I hear an opening bid...

of $399?

Wow - that's way cool, but when they painted the rim to make it look shiny they painted over the period correct sticker that's on the front of the spare....

Darn the bad luck!

It does have the period correct double valve stem...

Maybe you can get the correct sticker from one of our vendors, Mike Mayberry or somebody like that....
quote:
quote:

of $399?

Wow - that's way cool, but when they painted the rim to make it look shiny they painted over the period correct sticker that's on the front of the spare....

Darn the bad luck!

Maybe you can get the correct sticker from one of our vendors, Mike Mayberry or somebody like that....
Interesting that the tire size is "F78/14", the EXACT SAME SIZE tire the Marti report stated was issued with my 1973 Mustang Mach 1.
quote:
Picture of a real Pantera collapsible spare ('73 L).
Hello Rocky; Since your rim measures 15-3/8", according to Bosswrench...NOT a DeTomaso Pantera space saver tire.

"Bosswrench
posted March 05, 2016 02:00 PM Hide Post
At one time you could get folding-sidewall spares in 14"x6" (std Pantera), 15" and 16" (never delivered on Panteras)".

SORRY to be the bearer of bad news!
quote:
Originally posted by speedunlimited:
quote:
quote:

of $399?

Darn the bad luck!

Interesting that the tire size is "F78/14", the EXACT SAME SIZE tire the Marti report stated was issued with my 1973 Mustang Mach 1.

Yes originally they are Mustang sourced. Market rate is about $250 on them but they don't even make a good coffee table display. Frowner

Bosswrench has the right idea. Porsche is a good source but it would appear those end around the 1996 model year.

A new 15" on a 7" Campi is what I want to do but there are at least two problems with that? 1) there are no new ones 2) they were mounted on 5" rims.

Finding NEW ones was the point of the original post? Are you guys having fun with derailing the post? You all have VERY short attention spans. Eeker

PS: you don't measure the id tire at the od of the rim. Just a hint for you Inspector Clouseau's. Look out for Kato? Maybe you can get back at him with a spitball? Wink
I believe there is another 15" Porsche one on ebay from 1987, but that is still far from new. As for vintage ones I checked my notes again on Shelby ' s and we once had one from an old Trans Am as well and I now think those were all 14" spare wheels regardless that those cars came with 15" road wheels with a large portion of the space savers being made by BFG.

I believe the search for new 15" space savers are going to be difficult. Maybe a Ford Fiesta, but they are not the inflatable type requiring a bottle. Not sure if that matters though.
Ford began using thin high-pressure (60 psi!) spare tires in the late '80s on cars like the 4 cylinder Thunderbird. These things looked like motorcycle tires (size T-135x18) and on the 'bird, they used a forged aluminum solid disc wheel about 4 wide x 18" OD. The wheel used a 4-bolt pattern; out of curiosity I welded one of these wheels up and re-drilled it to fit the Pantera's five-bolt pattern. NO problem with clearance for big brakes with this spare. They will not fit in front trunk and barely in the rear. Never used it- 10 yrs later, sold it to an owner back east. In 2015, one authority said ALL spares seem to have been discontinued since tire reliability went up to about 99+% and everyone carried a cell phone. Way-cheaper for mfgrs, too.
quote:
Originally posted by Bosswrench:
Ford began using thin high-pressure (60 psi!) spare tires in the late '80s on cars like the 4 cylinder Thunderbird. These things looked like motorcycle tires (size T-135x18) and on the 'bird, they used a forged aluminum solid disc wheel about 4 wide x 18" OD. The wheel used a 4-bolt pattern; out of curiosity I welded one of these wheels up and re-drilled it to fit the Pantera's five-bolt pattern. NO problem with clearance for big brakes with this spare. They will not fit in front trunk and barely in the rear. Never used it- 10 yrs later, sold it to an owner back east. In 2015, one authority said ALL spares seem to have been discontinued since tire reliability went up to about 99+% and everyone carried a cell phone. Way-cheaper for mfgrs, too.

Recently my younger son ran out of gas on his way home at 1am and called State Farm for road service.

The truck came for him at 7:30am. He waited all night and was suffering from hypothermia.

"I'm sorry" doesn't cut it. Carrying a spare would be the smart thing to do.
Last edited by panteradoug
Look at this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/121928...35&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

So why is the collapsible/inflatable tire, the best kept secret on the planet?

NONE of the tire dealers even know it exists and if they knew this guy could get $2,500 for one they would know about it for sure?

Leave it to Porsche. They just do what they need to do.

They probably just send over 'cake' to the protesters and nay-sayers parties too? Especially if they have anything to do with any Italian car with or without a prancing horse which probably is the majority of the opposition anyway?

Hey. I see those horses at the circus dancing up on their hind legs. I think you give them a carrot or a sugar cube or something to make them do their thing?

I don't see Gucci's on those "handler's though? I wonder why? Huh?

I was told they are popular at the pimp conventions though?

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Porsche_collapsable_spare_tire
Last edited by panteradoug

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.