Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Guys.. First I want to say in cruising the net I stumbled on this forum and when I saw the amount of assembled knowledge here I figured this would be a great place to chat with fellow motorheads. There are some REALLY nice cars posted here and in my mind it takes some very dedicated car owners... With that said I don't want to cause any drift in your mission but I have a few technical questions that high performance vehicles share with my application, like oiling stuff during high corner G's. For those who have asked about details maybe a visit to the planes website might answer some of your questions about my creation. Thanks again for letting me join in this group and hopefully I can contribute data that might be related to your topics...

Ben Haas
www.haaspowerair.com

ps. here is a link to a rather lengthy, crude but informative video I made explaining what I did and how I did it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...Ho69I6bUDuoBHd5YSUfu
The MSD distributor lasted just a few hours and if you look at the video it pretty much explains why.. I LOVE the 6AL boxes and they are flawless. I never had one fail in over 30 years of racing. The Mallory distributor that's in there now is absolutely great.The MSD coil switcher did get weak at about the 300 hour mark so I have added the replacment of that item at each 250 hour mark. Presently I have over 400 hours and 6+ years on the plane.. Estimated mileage is in the 50,000 - 60,000 range... So far no emergency landings. But the day is still young. Considering this is a truly 'one of a kind" never been done before prototype I am pretty darn happy in how it turned out..

Ben.
Last edited by stol
Hi Guys... By now you can see my "unique" application and I am hoping there are a few pilots in here that will totally understand my questions since the Pantera is as close to a plane as you can get. First, if anyone of your friends are curious in how stout a Ford engine is I think my situation should end that debate. For all you guys who run your cars hard or even better, attend track days at places like Daytona, or Sebring or any other race course you know the capabilities of a small block Ford. You get to hold it wide open on the straights for 10-20 seconds and they run for years. On my plane, I get to hold it wide open for 6+ hours straight, then land, fuel up and go another 6+ hours wide open.... Been doing that for 400+ hours. If that doesn't put to rest how strong the SB Ford is I don't know what will...

Ok, here's my question.

During your hard driving, radical cornering and hard braking has anyone actually looked at the oil pressure gauge to see if there is any indication of the oil pick up tube getting unporting and gulping air? In all the pics on this site they all look like wet sump motors just like mine, on a dry sump it would not be an issue because of the amount of oil that's stored in the holding tank.
For the non aviation guys, the motor in my plane does not know where it is and if I fly it in coordinated flight the motor thinks it is in a car.. Oil stays in the bottom of the pan and the fuel stays level in the Holley carb and fuel tanks. I can even do loops and rolls and 90 degree bank turns and as long as I keep it pulling positive G's all is well. My concerns surround the area of level flight and encountering turbulance that will alter the oil being picked up in the pan. The last pic I posted will show where I live and when flying around serious mountains the rough air assocciated with them on windy days can get rather ' western'.. As in, Holy crap,, that was a "fasten your seat belt lit sign" times 10.. Of course during these events I am too busy flying the plane to concentrate on looking at the oil pressure gauge to see if it drops.

Any and all feedback would be highly appreaciated so feel free to post in here, or PM me or even give me some feedback on my website.....

Thanks in advance for all of your comments.

Ben.
There are Two MSD 6AL boxes... Look real close, they are stacked on top of each other. Right next to the 8210 MSD coil switcher and the two coils. My ignition is set up very similar to a NASCAR cup car... The main difference is the #1 box is fed power from the main electrical buss.. The #2 box gets power straight from the Optima red top battery that's mounted in the tail. That way if I have a complete electrical failure the #2 ign will keep the motor running.

Ben.

Ben.
quote:
Originally posted by Corey Price:
You've obviously thought about a dry-sump, so I won't suggest it.

Thanks Corey for the suggestion. My plane is not suited for aerobatic flight and that's why I went the wet sump route. I do have numerous people waiting to order one of the packages in a dry sump version as soon as my test period is completed. My only concern is the belt driving the pump can get spit off and that would lead to huge problems. Another poster has some good ideas yesterday but for some reason deleted his comments before we could all discuss those options. Thanks again sir for your comments.

Ben.
STOL....awesome airplane. What a great project! Funny when you comment the engine doesn't know its in an airplane....imagine if it did and had a mind of its own...after the first take off would it say HOLY SHEEEEET, I'M NOT DOING THAT AGAIN!!! Or this guy Ben better be a good pilot!

I love the engineering to mount it in the airplane. Some of the 1970's vintage CanAm cars used the engine as an actual load bearing member and actually bolted the front half of the motor to a bulk head/firewall, then the transaxle was bolted on behind and the motor and transaxle had suspension pieces mounted directly to it....Bruce McLaren was one of the first to start building his chassis with aircraft monocoque design features, then later versions got rid of the monocoque in the rear part of the car that supported the engine/suspension and just used the engine...it worked really well. Of course you don't have a transaxle, but I was imagining getting rid of the blue tubing that holds the motor in, and just mounting the engine directly to a bulkhead back on your firewall. It's also nice to have some extra insurance without stressing the actual block.

You mention the oil pickup issues in an airplane application and it brings up some very interesting thoughts on wet sump design. I had one of the McLaren CanAm cars...they would generate well over 1.2+ lateral g's and in the early days they used wet sumps because thats all there was, but after lunching plenty of motors due to the lateral G's and oil moving up the side of the pan in corners they went to dry sumps. Do you have a baffled oil pan, I'm guessing yes. That's the usual solution and keeping 8-10 quarts in the engine/sump which keeps more oil available to keep the pickup submerged. He's something that will allow you to test your oiling concerns. On my car (1969 model) there was a 2 to 3 inch red trailer/brake light mounted to the dash board next to the tach, so that if the motor ever lost oil pressure that red light would go on and it wasn't too tough to see....You have your hands full when your flying and watching the gauge for a drop in pressure may or may not be possible. The big red light was connected to the everyday stock idiot light sensor most cars have, you couldn't miss it, it was simple and it worked. Once the dry sumps were invented you saw less oil pickup issues, but having that huge light was a great reminder to turn off the engine quickly before you did major damage even if you had a dry sump.

I have plans of mounting a bright red LED light (1/2" round) just in case the Pantera loses oil pressure. The LED's made today are so bright you can mount it on the top of your instrument panel and if you see a flash or constant red light you'll know if you've lost supply to the pump during turbulence.

Also, you might also consider the Duraspark and DuraSpark II ignitions (I've seen a lot of complaints on this and other forums on the MSD failure rates). Ford made from 1974-78? The Durasparks are exceptionally durable, run for 100,000 miles and can be found in almost any auto parts store in the country pretty much...if you lose a module, you just find yourself a Napa or Kragen near the airport and plug the new module in. There are numerous threads on this site discussing this very issue and installing the DuraSpark systems in Pantera (I have one). George Pence, the moderator of this forum knows this system inside and out and has posted many very technically detailed comments and wiring diagrams on the DuraSpark. Many guys that are not the all out racers go for this just because it dependable and pretty efficient. Just go to the "find" button on the summary page and put in DuraSpark and you will have plenty to read.

Here's one of the forum discussion links
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/...562/m/6090092394/p/2

Again, KUDO's on your project...wow, must have been fun engineering the whole package. If you post an email I'll send you some pictures of the McLarens with and without the monocoque structure and pictures of the motor being used as a stressed member. You might find them interesting. I couldn't post the pictures to this thread.
Thanks Tom for the kind words.... I own three other Fords that all have the DuraSpark ignition.. They are very dependable.. The main reason I went the 6AL / Mallory MSD route was to have the ability to run two independent ignition systems that can be switchable in flight... I could not figure out the electrical architecture to join 2 DuraSpark units together that would work dependably.... As you know anyone can build a street /race car and during the test phase if it quits you get to tow it back to the pits to repair it. Even in a boat if all does not work out and the thing goes tits up ,you call the Coast Guard and they pull you back to the dock...... But in a plane...... if it does not work you ** ARE** the lead story in the evening news. ... Thanks again for the comments and nice words.

Ben.
Just a quick post to update my earlier question about oil pressure. Over the last few weeks I installed an old 5 channel telemetry unit I had laying around from my racing days... Ch-1 was oil temp. Ch-2 was oil pressure, CH-3 was G forces, Ch-4 was aircraft attitude, and Ch-5 was fuel pressure... After entensive testing and some rather unusual attitudes of the plane I have determined that the Holley carb runs out of fuel long before the oil pick up in the pan gets unported.. Kinda like a fail safe system as the motor quits from the lack of fuel before I kill the bearings.. .

Thanks again to all who have given feedback either here or on the contact page on my website..

Ben.
Last edited by stol
quote:
After entensive testing and some rather unusual attitudes of the plane I have determined that the Holley carb runs out of fuel long before the oil pick up in the pan gets unported.

Interesting discovery. I'd still feel better if you had a baffled pan. I took a hard corner in my Pantera and left the oil pickup dry for a second - spun a rod bearing! My new engine has a fully baffled Armando 10-quart road race oil pan. Would be an extra measure of protection against leaving the oil pickup dry in heavy turbulence - not fail safe, but better than a stock open 5-quart pan.

Love your plane BTW. Had an itch years ago to build a Lancair IV, but unfortunately not the budget. Did quite a bit of flying with friends, helped a friend rebuild a Cavalier plans-built plane that he purchased when it had been mothballed for years after the builder had a prop strike. Beautiful flying plane. Then spent many an afternoon in his hangar as he built an RV9a and an RV10.

But alas, I have too little time and too little money to pursue all of my interests, so I've limited my "hobby" to automotive. And after such a great sacrifice, my wife thinks I have too many cars! Go figure!

Keep us posted on your adventures and development progress!
quote:
Originally posted by garth66:
quote:

Interesting discovery. I'd still feel better if you had a baffled pan.

Love your plane BTW. Had an itch years ago to build a Lancair IV, but unfortunately not the budget. Did quite a bit of flying with friends, helped a friend rebuild a Cavalier plans-built plane that he purchased when it had been mothballed for years after the builder had a prop strike. Beautiful flying plane. Then spent many an afternoon in his hangar as he built an RV9a and an RV10.

But alas, I have too little time and too little money to pursue all of my interests, so I've limited my "hobby" to automotive. And after such a great sacrifice, my wife thinks I have too many cars! Go figure!

Fabricating baffles for side loads during a cornering event is pretty easy... Baffling a pan to help in up and down G forces is problematic for sure... The main reason I went with a remote oil filter, large oil lines leading to it and a big oil cooler was to let that whole assembly act like a oil accumulator and buy a split second of extra oil pressure.. So far it looks like that concept is working out ok... Thanks for the compliment and I will post any additional info I generate as I continue my test flights....

Ben.
...I Agree with David B.!!
I am Not a Pilot! But I use to be a 'Crewchief/Flight Engineer' on Hueys, Cobras and Chinooks!
You need an 'Accumulator'! Perhaps Two! And even That is ONLY going to give You a Few SECONDS of Protection, when the Pick-Up becomes UNcovered!
For Cars the Brand name was 'Accusump'. But Be sure to use one Designed for Aircraft, regardless of what the Engine 'Thinks' It is Insalled In!
I see You are aware of the Possibility of becoming 'Weightless' in level flight, and that the Oil in the Pan, WILL be Up into the Crankshaft, and Not 'Down' around the Pick-Up!!

What happens when a 'WindShear' Knocks the Plane 'Up-Side-Down'??

You might think about adding a Oil Cooler along with those Accumulators!

...And then We come to the 'Distributor Gear DRIVE PIN'!!
You might think about going 'DistributorLESS'.

I like the Idea of the 'Back-Up' Dual Coils/Ignition...Would a 'MagNeto' be More Reliable? No?

I'am just thinking of Your Life!!

Your work is great, impeccable and shows a thourough understanding of Mechanics and Engineering!! Congrats!

BUT! We must not forget the fact; Even though the Engine may think it's in a Car, it IS in an Airplane, a job it was Never Designed to Do.

I know of one person who used a Jaguar V-12 Engine(All Aluminum),in a similar configuration, Except He had the Propeller Mounted Directly to the Crankshaft. (No Gearbox Speed 'Increaser/Reducer'??) The 'Pull' on the Crankshaft caused the Main Bearings to Seeze-Up, the 'Thrust' bearing could Never take it!
He was Killed!

...and there are Many other Problems, such as..What keeps the Spark Plug Wires from coming Off? You already know Aircraft 'Plug Wires' SCREW-ON, so they don't come loose!

It's All about the Engine Not being Designed for the Specific Job!
Being a Pilot Yourself, I know You are aware that All Aircraft produce their 'Own' specific, resonance, in High Frequency. Aircraft are Not 'Grounded'(from Vibration) as Cars are. It can do Damage, fasteners become loosened, cracks 'Run', and things fall apart. A 'High-Freq' (Vibration) as we use to call it...can cause the Primer in a Catridge to become Hot enough, from Friction against the Magazine Wall, to Fire Off a Bullet!.

I Wish You Good-Luck,
And Safe Landings!!
Last edited by marlinjack
Hi Stoll, great project.

When I started at flying school, we had some aerobatic lessons in a Bonanza 33. The problem with negatve G's was not a drop in oilpressure, but the fact that oil was collected at the bottom of the pistons causing all kind of unballance. Did you never have any of those problems?

But I agree, a pre-charged oil accumulator must work. Maybe you must have a look at the HYD pressure accumulators used for parking brakes on airliners.

Have a good one ;-0

Arno
quote:
Originally posted by garth66:
[QUOTE]....Love your plane BTW. Had an itch years ago to build a Lancair IV, but unfortunately not the budget. Did quite a bit of flying with friends, helped a friend rebuild a Cavalier plans-built plane that he purchased when it had been mothballed for years after the builder had a prop strike. Beautiful flying plane. Then spent many an afternoon in his hangar as he built an RV9a and an RV10.

.. Just an update. The FORD is still running perfectly. Lost another MSD coil switcher, this one lasted 150 hours..

This is for Garth66....

Since you mantioned Lancairs, A retired airline captain built a Lancair IV, installed a IO-550 in it and had been trying to break some long distance records.. In the last week he flew it out to Guam using three stops to get there... He then loaded 400+ gallons in it and non stopped it back from Guam to Jacksonville Fla . 34 hours.. applause

http://flightaware.com/live/fl...301/0400ZZ/PGUM/KJAX
have you considered adding an inverted oil system? The Mudry Cap10s that I used to fly had inverted oil system on the IO-360 (i think it was) and you could fly inverted and do any negative g maneuvers that you wanted, well until you reached the g limits which were +/- 6.

you said that the plane is capable of loops and rolls but is not certified for aerobatics? I don't know your aviation background so I would hate to insult you or your project but that statement makes me nervous.
quote:
Originally posted by tajon:
have you considered adding an inverted oil system? The Mudry Cap10s that I used to fly had inverted oil system on the IO-360 (i think it was) and you could fly inverted and do any negative g maneuvers that you wanted, well until you reached the g limits which were +/- 6.

you said that the plane is capable of loops and rolls but is not certified for aerobatics? I don't know your aviation background so I would hate to insult you or your project but that statement makes me nervous.

No insult taken sir...

As a pilot, you know ANY properly flown aircraft can do basic aerobatic flights as long as the pilot is smooth on the controls and keeps the airframe in positive G''s.. There are documanted cases of even airliners doing loops and rolls without damage or crashing..

For all the motorheads this is a 550 cu in motor..

Here are a couple of facts about the flight:
•The Lancair IV falls into class C1d in the Fédération Aéronautique Internationale classification system. (landplane, internal combustion powered, 1500-3000 kg)
•Engine: Barrett IO-550 non-turbo, 10:1 pistons, oversized oil sump, GAMI injectors, mags.
•My official take off weight was 4,449 lbs (2017.6 kg).
•Total fuel on board at engine start: 361 gallons.
•Total fuel on board at engine shutdown: 6 gallons
•Fuel burned 355 gallons.
•Oil quantity on engine start: 14 quarts
•Oil added: 0 zero
•Oil quantity on landing back home in Virginia: 14 quarts
•Total oil consumption: ZERO (Thank you Allen Barrett & crew)
•Great circle distance between PGUM and KJAX 13,059 km, 7,051 nm, 8,114 sm.
•Time aloft: 38:29
•Average fuel consumption: 9.2 gph. Cruise ranged from 11 gph heavy to 8 gph light.
•Average ground speed: 183 knots.
•Average cruise TAS: 180 knots

That is 22.85 miles per gallon while running over 200 MPH....... Impressive for sure.

Add Reply

Link copied to your clipboard.