Skip to main content

Thank you DeTom, i am willing to wait and hopefully one you "oldtimers" lol will be willing to sell me your pantera. i know you guys have put lots of work in your panteras and that is what want. someone that might want to pass it on. i know it must be extremely tought to let go something that you have enjoyed for decades. but, i will wait
quote:
Originally posted by SPEED:
Thank you Kevin, actually, that is what ia m looking for. a pantera that has been updated not over the top but something that does not need major work. i am still looking, but like i said before here in Southern california i have not seen something like that.

Like Detom said, be patient, and learn from guys on this board who aren't shy about telling you their "wish I had done it this way" story.

Here's a very recent example of a car you missed. These show up every once in a while but not that often. The Pantera is a low production vehicle (not rare) so you won't see too many of them for sale at one time.

http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/2250045562/m/3230026314

Good Luck,
Kevin
Best way to find a good Pantera for mini $, Is have money in hand, patience and lots of searching. When you see a deal and know it's a deal jump. Otherwise just sit back. Lot of Pantera's sold through less popular locations some times never seen by the "groups". Search many obscure sites and places. One will eventually show up.
quote:
Originally posted by jeff6559:
quote:
Originally posted by DeTom:
Jeff did you do those flames yourself or are they a decal?

Decals!!! Yuk!!! Down here your flames are your badge of honor. Mine were done the grandaddy of freehand flame masters, Mr. James Crawford. Having his flames added $1000 to the car in the Hot Rod crowd. %^))

Jeff

Sorry Jeff, I didn't know where you are from. You live in the Southland??
Finchster, where are you when we need you buddy! Larry looked long and hard and he found a beauty at a fair price cause he had done his homework.

I might suggest joining POCA and attending local meetings. I can't tell where you are located, but there are chapters all over.
http://www.panteraclub.com/
That way you can be around the cars and the owners and get a better feeling rather than listen to us pontificate on the PI BB. If you want to get more written pontification, I'd also join the POCA email forum. http://realbig.com/mailman/listinfo/detomaso
Besides lots of good advice and camraderie, they also have a searchable database of past topics.

Besides the Italian body, American iron and German ZF limited slip tranny, don't forget the English. Lucas did the electrics! And the suspension is by Dallara, one the more famous designers of the time. That's why the Pantera has held up so well as evidenced by its success in open road racing. Ask the Vette guys about that. Imagine losing to a 40 year old car!
I think were getting off the point with this guy. The car that Kevin posted from Michigan was in good woking order with many extras and went for $38K. This guy got upset because some of us mentioned that $35K for a car that does not even run is probably overpriced based on the current market prices.
I just think he just got pissed off because he did not like to hear that.
I don't think many on this bulletin board would pay him $35K for that car.
Tom
New & Slow that was my point.

I said why do all the work to sell it... we all know they are a money pit .. point being after all the work he would be trying to recoup the money invested. That never happens.

I thought listing it and selling it was his best way out. The fun to me is fixing them up slowly and it would give someone a chance to get in at an affordable level.

Ron
Well here is what he said about us...

"Unfortunately I have received a very negative response from your community. I have received e-mails that are hateful, posts from people who don’t want to wait for a response. Someone offered me 10k for it and told me that’s the best offer I’ll ever get….. meanwhile a Pantera that is totally dismantled without an engine sells for 24k on E-bay. Other cars from this era---- ex. Camaros, Trans-am’s and mustangs in poor shape are selling in the 30-50k range."

Now weather what he said about value being right or wrong isn't the point. He was jsut a youngster and we were awful hard on the bever ward. Now he is going to think Pantera guys are cratchety old farts.
quote:
Originally posted by jeff6559:
quote:
Originally posted by DeTom:
Now he is going to think Pantera guys are cratchety old farts.

Did you mean me?

Jeff you didn't do anything, neither did I. In fact I think most of it probably went down in email that we were not privy to. But you and I got lumped in with the guys who were harrasing him because, after all, we are Pantera owners, even though we didn't do nothing. It is a black eye on everyone who identifies themselves as Pantera guy. Now this guy is gonna go back to wherever he hangs out and say to them "You know the differance between a porcuopine and a Pantera? Nope, Well with a Porcupine the pricks or onthe outside." Then his corvette buddies, or austin martin buddies, or corrola buddies, whatever, are gonna laugh their asses off and assume all Pantera guys are pricks.
Detom, I think he woill get that on any board or group (human nature). I think it's better here then many places; certainly better then a few places/Marques I can think of (without naming them, like Ferrari, I didn't say that). I can see the guy on a Ferrari board "Mister, if you can't aford to hire a mechanic, or to purchase a $100k car you have no business mingling with us!"

I didn't say that did I.
No matter how much money I manage to accumulate, even if I became the richest man in the world, I would never, ever join a ferrai club or associate with those people. I would maybe buy up every new ferrari and set them on fire on tv maybe. BUt ever since a salesman was a snotty little shit to me one time, I knew right then and there, Ferrai people are conceited dickheads.
Detom,

We are all adults here .... sometimes the truth hurts ... people tell us the truth all day long .. life is not a bowl of cherries ... if we hurt his feelings because he wants to get 35k for a car ( and I read the posts ) " interior deteriorated badly "... " The engine is locked up" .." We're looking at getting about 35k " ..." Unfortunately I have received a very negative response from your community."

We are not pricks by no means, he just wants a lot of money for a car worth what our other Pantera memebers offered him .. maybe 10 -20k MAYBE !
I've been following this post with enthusiasm....and some restraint, not wanting to add fuel to the fire, but...

I think the conversation thus far attests to the core type of guys that hang out here.... a great bunch. You are all willing to be 'self critical', that is a true virtue in itself and I'm still not so sure anyone has anything to be apologetic about.

A new user came out of nowhere and posted a car and GT5 kit for sale, as a P car owner one would think he would have some awareness of the market and have done some research. He didn't like what he heard in terms of offers, too exception and responded in kind with examples to justify his price. The 'polite' route is a two way street; he could as easily responded thanks for your offer, but its way below what I can accept…..good luck on your search...end of conversation. Secondly; the 'polite' route would have a note that said 'I'm out of town for while; do not expect a response until...
Most honest sellers just get it out in the open up front and post a price with the ad. Inviting people to have to enquire, then leaving for vacation is asking for a mixed reaction.

In addition I may have been part of the 'disappointment' he experienced as I in response to the post I enquired as to the price of the GT5 kit. Two weeks later came a response of $5K, so I politely replied that a new kit could be had from the vendors with wing for around $1500, that is not 'dissing' the guy just pointing out simple fact....and for that I don't feel an apology is warranted or necessary.

As the board grows in membership, there will undoubtedly be more confrontation of this nature. I personally don't see it as confrontational just 'healthy discussion' and if everyone is afraid to speak their mind due to possible repercussions, the discussions and the board will ultimately lose a lot of the 'edge' that makes it so different and better than other boards.

I’ll stop there, just my 'two penneth'

Julian
Yeah now that you point it out he didn't seem to handle it real well either. I guess I was making too much alloance for him being a kid and all. This is his parents fault. Parents now a days just don't teach manners like they used to. Back in my day it was yes ma'am and yes sir. Please and thank you. And 29 is old enough he should know better even if his parents didn't raise him right.
Yeah Jules, you're right. F@#$ him if he can't have manners. But still, let's all try and be especially nice to newbies, hell who knows, maybe someday a hot babe may wonder in and we don't want to be scaring her off. Big Grin
DeTom,

Don't get me on the subject of parenthood; it’s not all the parents fault but partly the society of today. I'm a proud parent of a 12 yr old son (bonding road trip to POCA Vegas coming up Big Grin), now he's great and I love him to death, but man if I'd spoke to my parents like he does…. I wouldn't be here today.

Yeah, we'll try hard to attract them hot babes, (I hope my wife don't read this BB Wink) isn't that why you bought a P car in the first place, why else put up with all that unreliability eh?

Hey, I'm thinking if you're so keen on keepin' this BB 'nicey nicey' and politically correct you can't be saying 'hot babes', you just don't know the 'orientation' of everyone whom hangs out here. Big Grin Eeker
Good point Joules. You never know which way someones keyfob may swing. And the same thing that keeps our wives off of the board, probably keeps hot young memmbers of the female oriented persuasion dissinterested as well.
I hope I said that in a way that does not offend those who are attracted to, er, well, anything other.
Detom .... your great ! LOL

Joules well said ... thanks...I do remeber him asking 5k for the spoilers and thats when I shook my head.

Anyway, I will be the first to apologize if I'm out of line ... I guess its my NY enthuziazm ... but its always in the best interest of fun.

Parenthood ? sorry still single but I can say that if I did some of the things the apprentices do who work for me ? My Grand father and father would have thrown a wrench at me. Life today is very different both for the better and some times I feel for the worse.

Ron
It's easy for you and me to laugh, we have our cars, in fact you have two. But what about the guys here who are desperatly searching. We queered the deal for them. Now it is just one less Pantera that they will be able to look at. Yeah we don't care, we have ours, but we should think about those less fortunate than ourselves. At least that is what my mommy used to say when she was alive.
You know I don't believe half the prices I see on Ebay.
A guy in our club sold his car on ebay. Perfect driver type car maybe some of you remember it 72 Black Pantera. I think he sold it to cheap at $30,000.00

So when this guy talks about that rust bucket missing half the parts selling for $23,000 I don't really think it sold. I just think he is basing his selling price on auctions that have some kind of fake bidding going on.

Those guys looking for cars just be ready to buy they are out there. See this one its not for sale anymore but could of been purchased late last year for $29,000.00 I seen this car at the PI gathering and it was a nice driver.
http://pantera.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/225004...730008683#2730008683
Last edited by markm
Detom, I was only joking and without getting into a long discussion all over again. If you remember it was way over priced, didnt run, needed interior that was eaten by animals, and probably rusted pretty bad ... they wanted 5k for a spoiler set up that could be purchased for less then half.

If you want a project car ... I have one for that price ... motor is complete. car is painted and I will even finish the rest of the resto of the engine compartment under carriage and suspension. Let me know I'll send you pictures.

Ron
PI has many nice cars .. they are on ebay .. and as someone quoted previuosly .. they can only account for 3000 + cars and 9000+ were made .... the balance were not all were crashed and destroyed. They are out there. email me and I will find you a Pantera. ronmarl@optonline.net

What condition are you looking for ?

If its good to great go to PI ... if its a project give me buzz.

Ron
A short while back someone else posted info about my Pantera, and when I joined the post and furnished a little more info, it spurred a lot of interest. Publically, let me thank all those who telelphoned and emailed me. As the work I was (and still am) having done to the car was not completed, I had the posting removed from the board. Soon I hope, my Pantera will be available for a new home. At 3:24pm EST last Wednesday, it woke up, and ran very well. It is my hope that within two weeks I will have it marketable. Thanks.
Link copied to your clipboard.