Skip to main content

So here’s my dilemma. I have changed almost everything but the body, paint and glass in the 20+ years I’ve owned the car. I love the GT5 and GT4 looks and never really paid much attention to the front of the car. It is in my opinion, the weakest view of the car, compared to the rear, rear 3/4 or side views.

But after looking at my ugly, dull, delaminating, poorly aligned, rubber bumper, and getting a deal on a new fiberglass Amerisport bumper in Kingston, I decided to get on it. After all, there’s nothing else Pantera to do in 4 feet of snow and –30 temps.

My plan was to finally fix up the front air dam and all those chips and cracks that have been hidden in the shade of the overhanging rubber umbrella, then paint the new bumper gloss black to match my mirrors and rear bumper.

My first look at the naked car with no bumper almost made me puke. I sent some pics to Mark Charlton. A wise Pantera owner and a cool designer, he thought it looked great. Now after looking at it for 24 hours, I am beginning to waver. Maybe I should forget the big black thing and go for some small euro bumpers. I see many different types. I’m looking at lots of pics but am getting confused.

Will this destroy the original GT5 look I have grown accustomed to (even though I don’t care about staying original at all and everything else has been modified)?

Can you help me by posting pics of GT5 or GT5S type front bumper treatments that you like.

Who has these bumpers?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • bumper
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

deeb:
I have a 74 (narrow body) and absolutely hated the front bumper from day 1. I bought Kirk Evans front two piece fiberglass bumpers and planned on painting them body color. After I bought them and before they went on I had reservations about making the change. Bit the bullet and did it. IT was positively the best thing ever I did to the car! Take a look at my avitar and see if you can imagine that look on your GT5!!
Well, thanks for the quick responses!

Mark, I looked at your bumpers but they only look good on a black car. They are heavy looking on a light coloured car. But what Imguy suggests is worth looking at - painting them white might work well. Are they rubber or fiberglass?

What about these little Euro bumpers from Wilkenson.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • 23003D
Deeb,

In my opinion you need to go with the 'original' GT5 look; that is the small euro bumpers Big Grin and not those N. American ones forced upon the car by some ridiculous 10mph crash mandate.

Here's #9178 sporting her original bumpers! BTW change the rear too while you are at it (see my avatar for the split rears.) I have a spare rear set in fiberglass thet need a little work, if you are interested PM me.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Frontal
I did think about carbon fibre, but then I'd have to get carbon mirrors and rear bumper.

I just photoshopped the small Amerisport bumper from the red car your sent then painted it white. Not so nice. Too many angles whiteon white and too heavy black on white.

What works on a black or red or burgundy car looks dumb on a white car. I'm thinking less is more in this case.

No bumper might be good, but as Mark pointed out, needs a lot of work on the turn signal / driving lites.

Joules' car looks pretty sweet with the Euro bumpers, as do most of the GT5 cars I looked at on EU sites. But Joules' look to be the same dimension edge to edge. Maybe it's just the angle of the shot. The ones on Wilkenson's site are wider on the outside edge, which is what's needed.

I might as well add some fiberglass around my fog lites to close up some of that giant opening. I need to get those Euro bumpers here and try them out. Anyone have a set lying around?
quote:
Originally posted by deeb:
Hey Jan,

One of the first places I looked was your galleries.

Burgundy and Black have no bumpah indeed. And big Red has the little Euros. Not sure I can handle all the blending and fiberglass work. Your flares are altogether different as GT5S style.

But I did get some good ideas. Thanks all for the help!

Oops, I forgot you had fiberglass flares. Here is another car, probably metal flares though. I will post a couple others as well:

Attachments

Images (1)
  • frontclose
Deeb,

I'll go in the opposite direction...WITH BUMPER. I believe, like you said, that the 2 small bumpers will look heavy in anything but black.
Your black bumper adds a sportive touch...

You can always paint your car green and bumperless and become a member of the GREEN PANTERA ASSOCIATION...
Deeb, if you want to do something really radical that no one else has done, you can put headlights in that area and then remove the pop-ups and get rid of 100 pounds of dead weight. Then close off the headlight opening and smooth it out and you can have a radically different Pantera that handles better, stops and accelerates better.
There are a lot of radical cars here. I am stuck with a body style that has the glass panels separated from the steel. The joints with the black filler between, give the car a distinctive look. I am not about to change it. Doing so would require a full body and paint.

Taking off the bumper reveals a lot of imperfections so I'm looking for a way to refine the entire front face. I sure learned a lot from these posts as well. I will probably smooth out all the joints and seams - direction signals and fog lite mounting - but will keep the rest of it untouched.

Not sure yet, but I think I will fab a Euro style bumper that flows better with the fender lines.
David,

I know you are looking at all options right now. It is a good time given that you already have an Amerisport repro front bumper in your hip pocket. Good time to make sure on the way forward.

I would like to give you my opinion. Let me start off by saying that the appearance of a car (ie. "looks"), like women, art and wine, is very a subjective thing. Everyone has their taste and they all are good.

Here is what I feel.

1) The Amerisport small 2 piece front bumpers are great when put on a dark coloured car - preferably black. They look super on Mark's car. Just wouldn't work on my orange or your white car IMHO.

2) No bumpers. For my taste it makes the front end look incomplete albeit aggressive in nature. It creates a question of symmetry and balance with the rear. Which leads me to ...

3) Small euro bumpers do not provide enough symmetry and balance with the full 1-piece rear bumper. Although they do look better with the 2 piece small euro rear bumper.

It is just that, in my opinion, the full 1-piece rear bumper takes one's eye from the otherwise dominant rear A/C grill. The full 1-piece makes the rear end design elements more "equivalent" in impact.

4) The full late bumper, to my taste is the best in appearance. (Although the original rubber is TOO heavy and should be replaced with a fibreglass one.) Here's why I feel so:

i) It balances well with the full 1-piece rear bumper.
ii) In side profile the Pantera evokes the appearance of the chord of a high lift aerodynamic wing - with the tail of the wing forward and leading edge rearward. The full span bumper continues that design cue on the front end.
iii) It inspires the appearance of a race car front wing in design. Being an F1 nut - I like the cue.
iv) Finally, I like the front end protection. Twice I had my front end bumped - No damage thanks to the fibreglass full bumper.

So that is my 2 cents worth. Stick with the original external appearance.

Your buddy,

B.G.
Last edited by andriyko
Deeb, I like those small bumpers you are trying out similar to Julian's. With your car and that small black rubber seperation line of metal to fiberglass fenders those bumpers would look real nice. If you were smoothing out all that area I think only then the the bumperless look would be right.

Quik72, there are programs out there to retrieve data & photos from crashed hard drives, maybe check it out. I learned the hard way too, and now back up to a 250 GB external hard drive...only about $70 at Costco.
FWIW- the L front bumper aids handling by serving as a crude front wing- some cars with L bumpers and a little front rake seem to need no front spoiler to keep the front tires planted at 125-150 or so speeds. Bumperless and small front bumper cars wander and float alarmingly at those speeds due to aerodynamic front lift unless, as one friend did, you carry 125 lbs of truck tire chains in the front trunk!
As for the crashed hard drive, there are a variety of reasons for a crash. If its in the drive mechanism or its circuitry, be aware that the actual hard disc can sometimes be manually transferred to another similar drive, and magically, the 'new' drive then has all your data. Recovery geeks know all this stuff.
Boss,

I recall that there were some reports that the L Bumper did provide some downforce. I did not mention this in my earlier post because I could not find the reference. My minds eye recalls the article I read. I have the Ford wind-tunnel reports on a 71 car (ref. Style-Auto). Ford had wind tunnel tested the Pantera as a comparison to the Boss 302 and GT-40. It was part of an evaluation to determine whether to campaign the car. When I tried to dig up the wind-tunnel report on the L bumper car in my DeT references I could not find it. The L bumper design was evaluated as a supplement.

I do remember that it was one of the reasons that the trailing edge of the bumper, just in front of the front decklid was designed to be above the leading edge of the car body. This was done to promote laminar airflow over the front of car. I did note that the wind-tunnel reference indicated a relatively higher front end lift with the early cars when compared to the L bumpered cars. The Ford wind-tunnel tests reflected early 70s cars thad did not have the chin spoiler as is intalled in GT4, GT5 and GT5S cars. It would have been good to see the wind-tunnel numbers (CL, CD, Forces) for a true GT5 like David's.

Can anyone else help with this?

B.G.
I have a 74L and had that big heavy ugly rubber bumper. It was falling apart, so I bought one of Hall's glass front bumpers. It took some grinding, but I made it fit pretty well and painted it gloss black. Had it for years, but I still thought the front looked pointed. I tried no bumpers but the car just looked wrong. Then a fellow pantera owner sold me a set of aluminum eyebrows and I really like the look of them on the L model.

Attachments

Images (1)
  • PantAtBrnCty2001
quote:
Originally posted by deeb:
I might as well add some fiberglass around my fog lites to close up some of that giant opening.

Deeb:

As I'm sure you know, the ducts in the air dam are based on the Gr4 and are potentially functional with the addition of ducting to cool the brakes.

My personal opinion (which is worth exactly what you are paying for it) is that GT5 Panteras are exceedingly rare, and keeping the few remaining ones unmolested is important. When we bought our cars, we paid a lot of money for Italian design and styling. It seems counter-productive to me to mess with anything other than safety and performance upgrades. If customization is the objective, it seems to make more sense to me to start with a kit car rather than vandalizing a car with history and one that I would argue is a work of art and a legacy to future generations.

I suppose one could buy an Italian sculpture by Canova, Bernini or Michelangelo and have the right to customize it to one's tastes, but it would be unethical and illogical to do so.

Sorry about the rant. It's just that we're not talking about painting a mural on the side of a GMC van here. There were less than 250 GT5s built. In compiling my registry, I'm getting an appreciation for just how few remain, and so I'm finding myself getting somewhat defensive of them.

Anyway, here's a photo of my car next to Herman's, so you can get a direct comparison of the Euro spec bumper vs the DOT railroad tie:

Attachments

Images (1)
  • Monterey_Aug._15-17._2006_001_(178)
quote:
Originally posted by Peter H:
As I'm sure you know, the ducts in the air dam are based on the Gr4 and are potentially functional with the addition of ducting to cool the brakes.

Peter, does your car not have fog lights in those openings? I can't imagine much brake cooling effect with 80% blockage. Should David re-locate the lights and open the vents up even more? Moot question, I guess if he gets the Lotus... but if he keeps the car (or gets tired of getting tickets and gives it to me Wink )what is the "right" thing to do?
Link copied to your clipboard.