Skip to main content

Headers look nice Gary!
I had a couple of questions.
Did your engine guy give you a guideline of what size primary pipe to run and how long they needed to be?
Is that information what you used to configure the set up you are working on?
I thought I read in another post that you were going to use oval tubing for clearance around the frame. Did that not work?
What are you using for mufflers and how are they going to exit the car?
Sorry for all the questions but I think this kind of fab is cool. You ,Johnny and Ron are my Heroes.
quote:
Originally posted by Pittcrew:
Did your engine guy give you a guideline of what size primary pipe to run and how long they needed to be?

I had used some on line calculators some time ago to as well as some calculations Hot Rod published. They both pointed to 1-3/4" primaries. Any larger I might increase power slightly but loose more midrange power and possibly idle issues.

quote:

Is that information what you used to configure the set up you are working on?

Honestly this design is based more on physical function then engine function. I see people make huge changes in exhaust and get a small improvement in say mid range power yet small change in over all power. Some of this may be noticeable on a dyno but I doubt a big deal in the grand scheme of things. I simply wanted to make sure the primaries and secondaries were big enough for flow.

I plan on running the engine again on a dyno with my old headers and these headers, with the Barry Grant carburetor and the 4 down draft webbers. I want to see the difference in the carbs and with the headers. There is more at work here then what I can totally grasp and I would like to see through testing the difference.

quote:

I thought I read in another post that you were going to use oval tubing for clearance around the frame. Did that not work?

Some one else had suggested that but I never had any intention of doing that.

quote:

What are you using for mufflers and how are they going to exit the car?

Thinking of making my own mufflers! Still looking at designs. I have some ideas which will look similar from behind but may enter through the top of the rear instead of the rear. We'll see where we go from here.

quote:

Sorry for all the questions but I think this kind of fab is cool. You ,Johnny and Ron are my Heroes.

If there is anything I have learned is that EVERYONE is more capable then they know!! Everyone!
I am going over the suspension on both sides. It clears the exhaust by quite a bit actually. The exhaust is inside the wheel well frame work and even if the tire contacts the frame it will not encroach in that area.

Gas tank to the right because oil coolers and stuff going on side with filter. I don't want to route lines over to the right.

More latter, off on a trip.

Gary
quote:
Originally posted by Speedzone:
COMP2, which heads by CHI are you running, and whats the CID of your motor? I've got the 208cc heads on order right now for my 408C, as well as the intake like you've got. Cant wait to fresh'n my motor up, as it's now puffing a little blue smoke, which I find VERY embassasing!! Its low miles, but I suspect a cracked ring.........

It would be worth looking at the heads when you get them. When they originally made the 3V they did not flow as good as the 2V in low rpm. The reason was the intake seat area on the 3V was not radiused like the 2V. My builder modified mine but it may be worth looking into. Not a big deal as they are good heads. They are may be doing it better now.
Link copied to your clipboard.